Some great articles here, there are brief histories on NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS. Inventors such as Smirnoff and Farnsworth are given their due, and since modern day tv wouldn’t be where it is without them, it’s wonderful that they’re mentioned.
I really enjoyed their piece about the 1968 showing of Heidi, and the uproar it caused. I would recommend this book, for any up and coming tv historians who need to get a quick overview of the medium. It helped refresh my memory, and introduced me to a few stories I didn’t know about.
Williston North Dakota
Why thank you, JThree, much obliged.
We thought you might like a look at what’s inside this book, so here are two excerpts for your reading pleasure.
First, some TV pilots you may not have heard about.
CONTEST CLOSED! (THRURSDAY, MARCH 7!) WINNERS TO BE ANNOUNCED SHORTLY!
BREAKING: UNCLE JOHN’S BATHROOM READER IS HAVING A CONTEST!!! ENTER AND YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY WIN STUFF!!!
Alrighty then. First, here’s a picture of what this contest might look like if it were humanly possible to render such a complex thing into one image:
I think we’ve seen enough!
Moving right along:
GUESS THE NUMBER UNCLE JOHN JUST THOUGHT OF Contest Rules
1. Uncle John just thought of a whole number between 0 (zero!) and 100 (one hundred!). We’ve saved that number in Uncle John’s super-secret super-safe safe. (It’s a tissue box. It’s in his bathroom.) Your job: Gather all your psychic abilities into one tremendous bundle of other-worldly communication potentialities and determine exactly what that number is! Or better yet, just guess.
2. Tell us the number you have chosen in a comment below. (One entry per person. Two per giraffe. But giraffes have to submit their entries in person.)
4. The five people who come THE CLOSEST to the number Uncle John picked will win ONE (1!) Uncle John Bathroom Reader books of their choosing. (Yeehaw!)
5. The person the VERY CLOSEST to the number Uncle John picked will win TWO (2!) books of their choosing. (Bazinga!)
6. The submitter who guesses THE EXACT NUMBER (gasp!) that Uncle John picked will win FIVE (5!) books of their choosing. (Holy mackeral! It’s like Christmas and your birthday and Hungarian Goulash Appreciation Day all rolled into one! ‘Cept without the goulash.)
In one of our very favorite Bathroom Readers of all time – Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader PLUNGES INTO MUSIC – we have an article called “Seven Instruments Bigger Than a Tuba.” (It’s on page 311.) Number 7 on the list: The Great Stalacpipe Organ:
Check out this video, made by Ripley’s Believe it or Not, and sanctioned by Luray Caverns adminstrators:
The 1st moon landing touched down in the Sea of Tranquility. The 2nd: in the Ocean of Storms. #BRIFact