In one of our very favorite Bathroom Readers of all time – Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader PLUNGES INTO MUSIC – we have an article called “Seven Instruments Bigger Than a Tuba.” (It’s on page 311.) Number 7 on the list: The Great Stalacpipe Organ:
Check out this video, made by Ripley’s Believe it or Not, and sanctioned by Luray Caverns administrators:
• Here’s the official GSO website
• Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata” on the GSO
• An endearing and occasionally annoying video made by a woman named “Bowser” who put the GSO on her “Bowser Buckey List” (well done!)
• ”Musical Gems From Solid Rock”! (from here)
• Once again, that’s from Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader PLUNGES INTO MUSIC (page 311)
Finally: You know how to tell a stalactite from a stalagmite, right? A stalactite has a “c” in it – stalaCtite – and it hangs from the Cieling.
A stalagmite has a “g” in it – stalaGmite – and it grows up from the Ground.